The Media Student’s Book
Welcome to the website for The Media Student's Book, 5th edition!
The book and the website together form a comprehensive introduction for students of media studies. They cover all the key topics and provide a detailed, lively and accessible guide to concepts and debates. The website is structured in four main parts, addressing key concepts, debates, research skills, and media production.
Individual chapter sections include:
- Approaching media texts
- Genres and other classifications
- Ideologies and discourses
- The business of media
- New media in a new world?
- The future of television
- Regulation now
- Debating advertising, branding and celebrity
- News and its futures
- Documentary and ‘reality’ debates
- From ‘audience’ to ‘users’?
- Research: skills and methods
Each chapter section includes a range of examples to supplement the book, such as additional new and classic case studies and related links.